PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The last of NATS VR ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2020, 22:17
terrain safe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by escaped.atco
....why did NATS have to introduce the Solutions model if the real NATS model was efficient and cost effective?

And this shows exactly the point that there was scope to reduce costs over a dated and expensive model which was not competitive in modern day tenders. Salaries are cheaper, pensions are cheaper, expenses are cheaper, no NATSAGs to comply with, OT is cheaper etc. The old NATS model is fantastic, but very expensive in todays market, NATSAG01 being just one small example which NATS management have obviously been desperate to close that avenue. The next obvious step is pensions expense, how its done is anyones guess but I would bet its on the wish list of changes. The airlines have already been there in reducing T&Cs, ATC is only just beginning that particular journey hurried along now by the mess that the entire aviation sector finds itself in.
Solutions is used on airfields that are mostly quieter, even though they definitely have their moments and have very little fat on the contract. Personally I think they should be part of NATS, but there we go. As for salaries being higher in NATS, that is just plain wrong I'm afraid. Several of the ex NATS airfields have had pay rises over and above what the comparable NATS airfields have received. NSL has been cut back on the airfield side to the bone. As for NATSAG1, if there are any ATCO redundancies, I would guess that there may be service provision issues and these would have to be discussed with the customer. Some airfields are already at 50% of normal capacity, if not more, so some thought before any rash decisions which would affect the industry for many years would be a good idea. All my opinion of course but I do worry about someone acting in haste so we all repent at leisure.

Good night all.