PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 12:40
Thegreenmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always enjoy reading posts like his. I was that guy who got a trade and then went into flying later and it does make me chuckle reading just how easy I had it before. To correct a few points and add some more perspective.

-Expect a minimum of 3 years study, during which you will need to find someone to take you on for 4 days a week (1 day at college) , expect £50 a day. Don’t bother with these fast track 12 week courses for £10,000 unless you are some serious gambler or have an immediate job offer or company willing to nurse you through your first few years.
-After your minimum 3 years, expect to shell out several thousand pounds on tools, van, insurance and maintenance of your qualifications, per year, every year.
-£1600 a week self employed? Certainly achieveable, more during good times. Remember though holiday pay is £0, sick pay is £0, pension is £0
-85% profit, well even the most lenient taxation system might frown upon that.
-Do not underestimate the physical strain you will be putting your body under fixing sinks, plumbing in toilets, shower basins, squeezing into peoples lofts and under their floors. I can’t name a tradesperson I know of over 50 without some work related back/knee/shoulder serious long term impairment.

My advice is this. If you are serious about a career change getting a trade it can be a good trade off between quality of life/money/independence. If you are able to absorb a minimum of 2-3yrs with very little income with a view to the longer term then go ahead. Don’t expect the lifestyle or money that MAY come with a flying job. But do expect more time at home with the family and the occasional golf day. Don’t expect people to pay on time, or sometimes even at all. Do expect tools to be stolen, regular awkward customers, play of dirt and a dusting of asbestos.

I could go on but you get the idea. I may have to dust off the spanners if I get let go next week so best wishes to all.