PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 01:56
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Poto
To add to the math, many of these crew would need about a week in the sim & on the line to fly the Maggot again. Putting further doubt to the companies claim that SH wouldn’t be touched. Much cheaper to get rid of a 1-3yr service SH FO via CR. The entire industry is in ‘Surplus’ right now.
If you want to believe it's that easy to simply perform that action go ahead. There's significant training and operational line readiness issues now. You're talking about a group of people who haven't been in the particular aircraft for years and haven't been in an aircraft at all for what will probably be over 12 months. Whilst one pilot in those circumstances, away from aviation for years, could come back on line into an environment where their colleagues have been active on the fleet in the meantime, you're talking about retraining en masse a significant proportion of the fleet, to pilots who have been out of the loop for a long time. Not going to happen, if the company don't say no then CASA surely will.

Originally Posted by normanton
We are currently looking at 196 redundancy's in mainline. And from what I am hearing, there hasn't been much interest in the VR package.
That one I doubt. In 2014 (when the aviation industry didn't come to a halt and there was ample opportunity for those in the VR interest bracket to remain flying until retirement age, and the VR eligibility was limited to only 2 fleets) they still got around 60 applicants. Today there will be no opportunity at all for those on the 380 for a minimum 3 years, and on the 747 for an indeterminate number of years, to return to flying. They'll probably reach 200 with those two fleets alone, and there'll be a number of 330 and 787 pilots who want it as well. I've heard pilots as young as early to mid 50's from various fleets are seriously considering the package.

Last edited by dr dre; 3rd Aug 2020 at 03:09.