PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One down in PNG today - C402C, VH-TSI
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 00:20
SCPL_1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Kagamuga, I've not been near Mareeba for a long time.
While he was a former CFI, he probably only had conventional knowledge of SSR and not
the other primary or secondary radar that is not generally known about.

Without going into too much detail, any flight from within say 100 miles of Cairns or TI, would be seen down to a low level.
With a transponder left on, its possible that any aircraft on a similar flight on any other day,
would have been seen all the way.

To suggest that he would not have been seen is to display a level of knowledge as we can assume
this former CFI possessed.

Again, without going into "too much detail", the public information shows that this particular flight was in fact tracked
all the way from prior to starting engines, cruise at 3,000 ft, to landing, its failed take off etc.

Despite this, you can expect more dumber than dumb criminals to try to copycat this idea
and I'll predict a similar result such as having to ditch or make a forced landing due to fuel
starvation etc. No doubt, they will refuse to believe this post and they will be kicking themselves
when they too end up in a PNG cell awaiting extradition to Australia.

Originally Posted by Kagamuga
SCPL 1988,

Let me bring to your attention.
At 3,000 feet the aircraft would hardly have been on radar at all; Based upon 40 years of PNG Ops I can assure you I know radar range. SSR appears to have been turned off just a few miles north of Mareeba
The pilot a former Chief Flying Instructor has the necessary knowledge on SSR operation.
I believe a lot of the new modern radar is masked to not show or trigger non Mode C, Mode S, ADSB replies
Up until departure TSI had done nothing unusual at Mareeba.
Mareeba has changed a lot is in the last two years. Huge increase activity, MAF has about 10 aircraft parked there, mostly P2 registered. Four engineering shops in the 'terminal area. Extensions to runway ends to accomodate resident Jet aircraft, warbirds, and general safety. The western end now has a huge building programme under way. Very large helicopter shops, other hangars. Google is far from up to date.
Take off charts? give me a break!