PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS - The Political Farce Continued (Thread 5)
Old 30th Nov 2003, 06:31
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
As an instructor I never used to let students use a VNC for two reasons.

1. The scale was a pain in the a$%e as at 1:500,000, at some point during the flight, usually diversions etc., you usually end up with a piece of paper the size of an unfolded tablecloth covering the window, instruments etc.

2. The coverage was (and still is) somewhat limited, meaning if the pilot had to go somewhere without a VNC they wouldn't kow where to find basic operational info such as area freqs, CTA boundaries etc. See my point...?

I haven't seen an ERC Low for a little while but surely the frequencies must still be on there (?) I don't agree with NAS per se but the idea that if the frequencies aren't on the VFR chart, they're not available, seems a little strange to me.

Buy a WAC, buy an ERC Low and plot your track on both. The frequencies (hopefully) you will need should all be on the ERC or in ERSA.

Although, referring to Max Ranges post

The price for an ERC this week? $3.15. And now ASA have effectively made ERCs compulsory, I'm informed the price for that chart will go up to $9.20 in December. How can ASA justify this price rise of nearly 300%?
Owwww....that's gotta hurt.

Also, it's good to see Dick Smith using his real name, as much as I disagree with his ideas. I wouldn't be so game...

Last edited by DirectAnywhere; 30th Nov 2003 at 08:40.