PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United UA57 cleared for wrong runway - sweepover to lined up Easyjet
Old 1st Aug 2020, 20:33
Ray_Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really surprised how late the UA crew swinged over. In the FR24 plot, which is never precise enuff an in doubts for me, they were aligned with the runway just inside the airport perimeter. If it really was was that late, I accept that they didn't have a lot of time to spot another airplane occupying the runway. And especially that one said of being at a position for intersection takeoff. Wonder how they managed to be at height over threshold.

Some asked for the Easyjet not having lined up yet. We can't know, but indirect hints are there: If it was totally save, they wouldn't have complained right away. And: BEA ranked it a serious incident "landing clearence on occupied runway. Yes, we don't know if they were already lined up. But obviously the Easyjet already crossed the Holding Position and entered the runway zone.

So I modify:
Error 1: ATC
Error 2: crew swing over very late, and still without questioning. This was not a stabilized approach at all, and looks like they coudn't maintain sufficient situational awareness.

But this needs confirmation from accurate details.

Last edited by Ray_Y; 2nd Aug 2020 at 14:32. Reason: correcting to swing and completing sentence