PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 31st Jul 2020, 00:46
krismiler

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I doubt wages will return to pre COVID levels for a few years and A380's future is highly uncertain. If I was 60+ I'd try for the best VR/early retirement package I could get. Take a few feet off the length of the boat you're planning on buying and console yourself that you can start doing the things you want a few years earlier and your health will be better with a few years less long haul flying damage.

Singapore Airlines will be offering early retirement to pilots over the age of 50 with 15+ years of service. Leaving in your 50s is a different matter as unless you have done really well financially i.e. joined young, got an early command, stayed married to the same woman and made some good investments it would be a stretch. Most pilots would need the remaining 10 years to finish off the mortgage and fill up the retirement pot before pulling the plug.

Below 50 I would be clinging on as hard as I could unless I had an alternate career or business that I could easily step into.

Unfortunately, most of us in the latter part of our careers are going to have to lower our expectations of retirement with less travel and fewer toys. Those in their 30s and 40s who can remain employed should be okay as time is on their side.