PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who has final decision to land?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2003, 02:28
weegsltl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has final decision to land?

Hello,

Myself and some friends have been having a discussion about who has the final decision to land - the pilot or ATC.

For example a pilot is making an approach to an airport and ATC informs the pilot that in their opinion the runway is not long enough to land, however the pilot has done his calculations and is happy that they can safely get in.

Would the pilot then have to choose another airport or pass the information he had on why he could land and ignore ATC. I have read that ATC provide a recommendary service and therefore (although you would be silly to do so) you can accept all responsibility and ignore ATC instructions.

On a side note to this would Hawarden Airport (EGNR) be able to accept a 777 (as this is where the discussion comes from). Offical facts show that a light 777 could operate into and out of NR, and a real world airline (that operates 777 and 747s) says that any of its fleet could operate into NR. However my friend states that a RW controller there says its impossible to land anything bigger than a 767. Therefore some input into whether this would be possible would be appriciated as well.

Thanks