PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Flying Airbus
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2020, 07:26
Kabobble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ve3id
Back in the seventies, I contacted the local Professional Engineer licensing body about registering as a Computer Engineer.. They replied that there is no such thing.
So I went on to practise as such for forty-five years, eventually passing on my knowledge and techniques as a college professor to younger folk.

A couple of years ago, I met the President of the PE Association at an alumni event. He laughed and said they were still working on that accreditation.

People who design bridges and buildings have to be licensed, but not people who design computer systems that can kill hundreds when they go wrong!

BTW, if you have doubt as to my abilities, I tell people, you should not live within 26 miles of any Nuclear Generating Station where I have worked on computers!
The BCS has been accrediting engineers (cEng) since at least '71, so although I have no idea where in the world you are, at least in the UK the narrative that computer engineering isn't 'real engineering' is bunk. Feel free to look up CITP if you like.