PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarantine if you arrive from Spain from midnight 25/7/2020
Old 28th Jul 2020, 06:14
Bidule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mcflyer101
These numbers are all meaningless if you don’t put them in perspective. Portugal has had far less deaths/people in intensive care per capita than Spain or GB. Madeira and Acores are basically Covid free. Counting infections that have completely different outcomes is meaningless. If we would have counted every single person with a flu in the past we probably would have created the same paranoia...But I guess the genie is out of the bottle and can’t be put back...
I agree that the number of cases is meaningless, simply because it directly depends on the number of tested persons, which is not given in this document https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
However, I disagree with you on the death rate. From same document, the death rate - and this one does not depend on the number of tested persons - in UK (1.4 / 100,000) is very significantly higher than in Portugal (0.6) or Spain (0.1).