PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2020, 05:47
Lee Baker Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 to 26 feet

Originally Posted by LTNman
It is not a non story. Airport management have made public statements that the airport is safe when it isn’t. The airport terminal in normal times can from memory handle around 4,500 passengers an hour. I have the exact figure somewhere but I can’t be bothered to dig it out. This figure hasn’t been reduced to reflect social distancing or safety and highlights the pitfalls and the risks passengers take when flying from being bussed out to stand to standing in long queues and then sitting in an aircraft with the engines off so the Hepa filters are doing nothing.

The issue is that despite a massive drop in passengers numbers flights still bunch up and arrive and depart at a similar time. The queue in this video gives the opportunity for the virus to spread. It is worth remembering this when people call it a non story.
Studies have found that a person coughing or sneezing or even simply talking can spread COVID-19 in the air up to a distance between 18 and 26 feet. In effect as long as individuals use face masks and wash their hands regularly they will greatly reduce the prospect of contracting the virus.

As a daily commuter on the trains I feel totally safe because I protect myself. I would feel safe in a terminal and safe in an aircraft.

The Press just love to dig at anything relating to Luton however the photos of the queue in the terminal do not cause me concern because it would be impracticable to keep our social distancing at 26 feet!