PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC: Pilot Shortage ‘flipped around’
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2020, 00:35
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Angle of Attack
Finestkind, I, for one have gone against SOP’S multiple times in the interests of safety and my employment continued. I think your full of it and are either a failed upgrade or someone bitter with the system. Once in the air it is the Captains authority all the way, although I just noticed your location says SAUDI, well your in another world buddy, if that’s your world then sorry about that, it’s different everywhere else, the Captain rules the roost when airborne, unless your in Saudi obviously! 😂
“ I disagree with you opinion and wonder whether you have an axe to grind” would have been sufficient and mature in response than your above post.

Xeptu hit the nail on the head. There are less decisions to be made. Your fuel load , diversions etc. are all made for you (or am I wrong in memory about the complaints posted some time ago about a company dictating these). Given the ability to contact home base as opposed to years ago the Captain now has the company’s input with issues. Yes there are some companies that when you contact home base and tell them that the wings have fallen off will order you not to crash (middle east companies come to mind) but in an emergency the Captain goes down with the ship and therefore is the ruling authority. What I was stating was a Captain years ago was in charge of everything from what, who, went on board fuel loads diversion etc.