PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 27th Jul 2020, 18:10
UnfortunateInversion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky escape

Hard to know how to feel about all this collapse now.
Back in the days of FPP I almost got in, and am still pretty certain the deciding factor in my failure was being mid 30s and unmarried - as they specifically asked the question about whether working short hall from Gatwick would suit my young family.
The next year I didn't even get invited to the flight school assessment, which kind of suggests I scored a black mark.
Feels like a lucky reprieve now. Would almost certainly have just lost my job with a chunk of the training loan left to pay and be so out of date on my other world skill set as to be unemployable in the current environment.
Looks like those who keep their jobs will be on significantly lower salaries too - compounding the reduced salary bands when I was applying.
Funny how you think something was a disaster, then it turns out a lucky escape.
I also took great pleasure in posting what happened at the team game assessments here after the apparent black balling. Always wondered if they changed the hike through the US desert after that.
And now for those keeping their jobs in the current crisis, what next? If A350s have achieved fully autonomous flight, how long before passengers start to feel automation is safer than human pilots?
Hard to know how to feel about the collapse, but not hard to know how I'd feel about being in it.