PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Flying Airbus
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 18:05
ve3id

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cattletruck
I wonder what it will say deep down in the fine print when flying as pax on one of these craft. Probably similar to your typical Windows operating system EULA where you absolve all your rights and accept the uncertified workmanship given to you as the norm forever.

Now if only all those software engineers livelihoods were on the line with jail time for negligence, only then will you see a real improvement in quality before release rather than a "it's fixed in version 2.0" response.

Tesla gets around this by requiring the driver keep their hands near the steering wheel - which isn't autonomous, though I accept designing for road travel has considerably more challenges.

I am a loss why we still keep throwing millions if not billions of dollars at a task that is relatively simple enough when the actual benefit in real terms proves to be quite marginal.
Back in the seventies, I contacted the local Professional Engineer licensing body about registering as a Computer Engineer.. They replied that there is no such thing.
So I went on to practise as such for forty-five years, eventually passing on my knowledge and techniques as a college professor to younger folk.

A couple of years ago, I met the President of the PE Association at an alumni event. He laughed and said they were still working on that accreditation.

People who design bridges and buildings have to be licensed, but not people who design computer systems that can kill hundreds when they go wrong!

BTW, if you have doubt as to my abilities, I tell people, you should not live within 26 miles of any Nuclear Generating Station where I have worked on computers!