PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 17:43
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray_Y

The hearing mentioned some hundereds pilots known to have been affected by somatographic illusion, MOst of them in Gereral Aviation,
The hearing discussed how that effect is dealt with in trainings
Friend flew F-15's. Beating up the pattern, light, at the end of a sortie was fun. IMC? G/A in IMC? "I'd just retract the speedbrake and gear. That was enough performance to go-around and reduced the chance of getting vertigo." Imagine being surrounded by a canopy with fantastic visibility. A terrible downside is the 'Star Wars' effect on approach in low visibility. The approach lights go under you and then a split second later flash by across the complete canopy. Add n the acceleration on takeoff (burner), or a G/A around MIL power per SOP's, and vertigo is a real threat.

Deploying squadron overseas had the last departure 'lose his radios' and returned to base. Low IMC using a/c radar in trail departure procedures. So the other aircraft continued. On landing they were told that the last guy had crashed. Investigation was vertigo and pushed over...staying in burner to rejoin quicker? Distracted by radar? Somatogravic illusion.

Vertigo is a real threat if fighters, even in VMC. I think the F-15 record is 12 G's pulling out of a dive after getting vertigo while dog fighting in VMC. Late 1980's out of Langley AFB. A funny moment in his video briefing on what happened - F-4 flashes across the screen. Based on his perception on his attitude the F-4 would be climbing vertically - "if I'd seen that I would have realized I had vertigo. F-4's don't go straight up like that." That always had the viewers laugh...except the F-4 guys?

"