PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Flying Airbus
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 16:30
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WonderBus
Personally, I’ve seen an Airbus as it goes from ALT* to ALT take managed speed to MACH 0 and take all the thrust off, no explanation for it.
I've seen this too, but not for a long time. I think it happens when you put in a time constraint, then go direct to another point beyond the constraint or something like that. It's been ages to be honest.

Whilst a pretty serious bug, it's perfect for machine learning to solve. 'AI' (big data) will see that a pilot has had to make an intervention (selected speed) and then in future, know that that is the correct course of action. What manufacturers should be doing (and as I understand it, at least Airbus are exploring) is filling the aircraft with incredbly fine detailed monitoring to generate data on how pilots deal with scenarios; weather, abnormal and routine decision making. The data will be there, but it is just too complex to interpret at the moment.

Originally Posted by Runaway Gun
It'd be interesting to see how many passengers would be willing to fly on an aircraft with no pilot onboard.
You're expecting a lot, a sudden attitude change. Asking people today "would you go on a plane without a pilot?", obviously ALL will say no. The same would have been true in 1903 if you asked people would they trust Orville to take them for a ride. It will be a development towards that over a long time period. It would be naieve to say that machine learning could never do a better job than humans.