PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ pilots under political pressure (merged)
Old 29th Nov 2003, 22:54
Lithgow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More sabre rattling...

Govt's intervention in issue of SIA pilots' union to improve relationship

29 November 2003 2315 hrs (SST)

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori.../59671/1/.html

SINGAPORE: The Acting Manpower Minister says he'll speak to both SIA's management and the pilots' union to get them to understand what has gone wrong in their relationship and to work together for the future.

Dr Ng Eng Hen said the government's intervention in the issue is to try to improve their relationship.

He was speaking to reporters after a cultural night at the Toa Payoh South community club on Saturday evening.

"Enough has been said by many Ministers to send a very clear message to the pilots' union that the path that they are on now, the path which they have over the many years been used to, will lead to a lot of difficulty. A lot of difficulty for themselves, for the company and eventually affect all of us. The intervention is really on the course that the whole pilots' union is taking. We will have to, and the purpose of the intervention is to try to improve the relationship.

"And yes, we'd have to deal with the management and the pilots' union. But one piece at a time, currently the message is to both parties. I've spoken to management, I'm now also speaking to the pilots' union, and I hope that both sides will examine how their relationships have gone wrong in the past and try to seriously consider which new direction they want to take," said Dr Ng. - CNA