PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 08:44
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Sandisondaughter, thank you for posting your Dad's excellent AMP 121 'Hints on Flying Instruction' which he was issued as a 'Creamy' in 1942. Whether CFS was still issuing such excellent advice to RAF Flying Instructors in the early 60s I have no idea, but if so it wasn't in the bedtime reading of my Jet Provost instructor. The son of a then notable RAF Very Senior Officer, he had little patience for my repeated errors and showed his dissatisfaction in no uncertain manner. My progress faltered and came to a grinding halt. I was in retrospect the subject of review for a possible chop. What was decided on my behalf was for a change of instructor. The new one was older with a row of medal ribbons, a Master Pilot and thus not a Commissioned but a Warrant Officer. His avuncular, patient, and encouraging manner was everything that his predecessor was not. He explained away the switch by briefly saying that there had been a 'Personality Clash' which was no-one's fault and a change of Instructor was invariably the solution. It certainly was in my case. My confidence returned, my progress recommenced, and he soon sent me solo. I still have the solo certificate, bearing his signature, framed on my study wall. An unofficial one of course, it is a cartoon of a parent crow kicking its startled fledgling out of the family nest, and thus far more treasured than any ponderously official one would be (there wasn't one, anyway).

Icare9, you have the advantage over many of us in having personally known Danny and in attending his funeral. It is good that the PPRuNe Community was represented there by a few of its own, for this thread had knitted us all into a family with Danny at its head. What I would say though is that his personality transcended this media to the extent that we all felt we knew him as a friend. Despite the repeated intransigence of his obdurate laptop he mastered the arcane mysteries of the internet, even illustrating his witty posts with pictures. Like any good performer nothing was allowed to get between him and his ardent audience. They don't indeed make 'em like that anymore!