PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manston
Thread: Manston
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2020, 02:10
OC37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romaro

I don't believe it is a maximum of 14 freighters per day, a pipe dream perhaps but RSP have boasted that they anticipate 10,000 freighter movements per annum which, by my calculation, equates to an average of 13.69 aircraft per day.

You are right, as I keep saying myself, regarding other revenue streams, I read recently that Marshall's are to sell CBG and were looking for another UK airfield home, has anybody from RSP been in contact with Marshall's as to what Manston has to offer them, look at what has been achieved at Kemble, aircraft scrapping/recycling, general aviation, vintage aircraft etc. and without a passenger of freighter service in sight, Manston needs to be sourcing a maintenance facility operator, Lufthansa Technik have 12 facilities across Europe, have Lufty along with other European maintenance operators been marketed, get an on-field maintenance facility and they shall bring in the aircraft for the airfield operator.

Last time GE flew over there were 21 aircraft visible on the ground at Lydd, 27 aircraft visible at Headcorn, attract a general aviation maintenance operator to attract just some of these and other aircraft, develop a flying club with cafe/bar to attract based aircraft, day trippers and spotters alike to spend their time and money in, as suggested RSP shall be starting with literally a blank canvas, they shall not be upsetting any existing on-site businesses by kicking them out to redevelop any particular area(s) of the airfield, the opportunities are endless with the appropriate management and marketing.

And, as a previous poster appears to have confirmed, at MTOW off Manston's runway a B747F would only be good for around a 4 hour leg before it would need to stop for fuel again, that is going to increase the costs of many a B747F operation out of Manston whilst, as others have pointed out, the guy in charge of this attempted Manston resurgence is the guy that was in charge when PlaneStation, previous owners of Manston and EUJet, folded for a debt of £40 million!