PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2020, 17:19
Ray_Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkfell
Just why he ‘pushed’ the control column on that fateful day....?
I just wonder if there any clues during the initial stalling exercises in basic training to explain it?
Originally Posted by megan
If he thought they were stalling you could explain it, even though it may have been an incorrect response, but why did he think they were stalling? That's the one needing an answer to me.
12:38:38 The Ctrl Col was first pushed ~7s after the GA and 1s after N1 increased thru 50%. We can assume this was the F/O
... then eased back for short time before applying more push to -2.5° Elevator
12:38:42 further pushed to -7° Elevator. That's 12/13s after G/A
12:38:46 FO shouts "my speed", that's 8s after the first push
12:38:48 FO shouts "we're stalling", 10s after first push

It's simple, and just needs looking at the report again.

He (or both) was hit by Somatogravic Illusion. Consistent with the thrust increase.
The apparent pitch up was calculated with ~20° at 12:38:42 and 80° at 12:38:46 in the report.
He was not the first commercial pilot to react with pushing down. He did as far as producing 0...-1g
I bet he was partially blind and deaf now, well, overwhelmed. That was especially a problem for him! From then on don't take his calls for real. Did he really believe in a stall?
If you believe you're up to 80°, you can guess your speed is gone very quick
If you feel g-force of 0 or -1, you can think that you're falling
Regarding "speed", it's not 100% ruled out the speed tape on EFIS was affected from another breakdown. NTSB however found it very unlikely. Or he confused overspeed range with something different.

The hearing mentioned some hundereds pilots known to have been affected by somatographic illusion, MOst of them in Gereral Aviation,
The hearing discussed how that effect is dealt with in trainings

Last edited by Ray_Y; 26th Jul 2020 at 17:47.