PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mount Gambier T-VASIS ERSA caution
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2003, 18:51
john_tullamarine

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
All quite amazing... I thought that it was common knowledge that the T-Vasis is subject to "errors" in conditions of particulate moisture due to refraction.

I would be surprised if any Australian pilot with much experience in night operations hasn't seen simultaneous fly up/down indications in conditions of ground fog. Not much different to all the other visual illusions with which we have to contend. I well remember one of my early night training sessions at Bankstown years ago .. ground fog rolled in from the other end and I was suckered into the illusion in such conditions which leads to a nose over .. increased descent rate .. and short landing... fortunately nothing was damaged other than my ego.

Perhaps the problem is using aids as command guidance rather than just another piece of information for the pilot to integrate in the puzzle's solution .. same can be said for ILS erroneous indications .. the Air New Zealand report into the Apia incident makes for very sobering reading with regard to this latter problem.