PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye BA Jumbos
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2020, 15:19
CompassT4T5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the late 70's, I flew on a BA B747 LAX-LHR , after t/o we had an engine fire.
The Cpt. explained all & advised it was now out and we could still continue direct to LHR.

An hour later , he announced we would divert to JFK , as maintainance there would be in a good position to change the engine.
We landed safely & smoothly there, and were hoping for a min. 6h delay..........
This proved too ambitious , so ground customer services staff efficiently arranged overnight accommodation for all.

We received a memo under the hotel room door, stating that at 8am-9am approx there would be a quick buffet breakfast available,
and then would we all please proceed to the awaiting buses for the by then fixed a/c 's continuation to LHR
As expected, huge queues for the buffet !
I just made myself a coffee, grabbed a doughnut & looked for somewhere to sit .
I minute later I was approached by a lovely BA customer service agent , who said " Sir , are you ready to go, because a bus is going now ? "
I said " yes , eh , sure " ...I was directed to the BA check in desks with my LAX-LHR boarding card stub - and given my new boarding card ON CONCORDE !!

A great result - but I must say , after having flown in the B747 ( all versions incl. SP - excluding freighter ) 3m+ miles since 1971 , I have never felt safer in the air.
She will be truly missed