PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire/Hurricane etc and drop tanks
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2020, 08:17
VintageEngineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m on my tablet so don’t have access to the hordes of technical papers on my PC I used as technical resources for redesigning the cooling system for a highly-modified race/track day car that suffered from charge air and radiator overheating issues. In any case, I think they'd be overkill and we may forget the many other issues involved. For example, the P51 and Mosquito arrangements are more driven by practical considerations; the Mosquito had its engines on the wings and the Mustang, not surprisingly, prioritised it’s armament over small cooling gains. Draggy brute-force cooling arrangements of such aircraft as the early Stukas and Sabre-engined Tempests and Typhoons were built as the ‘power egg’ philosophy of a combined engine and cooling unit held sway over technical niceties.

Mustangs such as This one from 1948 are examples. Interestingly, when the powers and speeds of unlimited racers rose shock waves from the wings became more of an issue and the focus was to modifying rather than repositioning the radiator arrangement, although the 2 fastest P51 racers I know of didn’t go as far as Gallopin’ Ghost by deleting the intake entirely.

interestingly, no other aircraft copied the P51’s design, although that is probably more due to the impending jet age and the widespread use of air-cooled engines in the last piston-engined fighters than any “ if it’s so good why did no-one copy it” argument.