PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 17:33
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy39
What a load of rubbish. I've seen no such thing and I lived in the town over 30 years...
Clearly you need educating then as the practice is widespread in the town. The photo is a screenshot of a random deprived area of Luton with a report below. I would also suggest that you look at google maps satellite view so you can see how widespread the problem is around parts of Luton.

Luton Borough Council has launched a new scheme to crack down on rogue landlords that rent out poorly managed or dangerous properties.

The Rogue Landlord Project was created alongside the Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service, the Luton Law Centre and the Luton Citizens Advice Bureau.

The council insists that rogue landlords will not be tolerated and offenders will be caught.

The scheme particularly focuses on:
  • Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)
  • Beds in sheds – substandard properties that are being used as homes without relevant permission.
Recently, 18 landlords have been prosecuted by Luton Council or served with prohibition orders, many resulting in large fines and criminal records. Beds in sheds and HMOs have been emptied and several investigations are ongoing.

Councillor Tom Shaw, Portfolio Holder for Housing at Luton Borough Council, says: “The Rogue Landlord Project is an integral part of ensuring that private housing in Luton is of a good standard. It is an important part of our enforcement policy and will help ensure that properties in Luton are safe and maintained to a good standard. If a HMO is poorly managed, tenants’ safety could be at risk.

Last edited by LTNman; 23rd Jul 2020 at 17:55.