PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manston
Thread: Manston
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 00:58
OC37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=asdf1234;10843679] Start with looking at the team assembled to bring this project to fruition. Collectively do they have more, or less experience than you when it comes to investing in, and running airports?

I don't know, might you care to reitterate who the Manston resurrection team members are and what there experiences are.

Just curious though as to how many airports they have previously run, what has happened to those airports and why are these people still not employed at those airports?

Originally Posted by asdf1234
Do you think that anyone contemplating spending £300m on a project would do so on a whim?
Do you really want me to answer that?

Originally Posted by asdf1234
Or would do so without knowing for certain the detailed history of the night flights situation, or would do so without knowing which cargo operators would support the airport?
I do happen to have worked in the air cargo sector, there are not so many scheduled service cargo operators around and are more often than not a spin-off from the national carriers, if Manston has anywhere near enough such carriers to boast 5,000 aircraft per annum then I shall eat my hat.

Aside from scheduled carriers air cargo is very much an adhoc market, many a fly-by-night operator operating aircraft under a flag of convenience, lacking any interested regulating authority regarding maintenance, crew regulations etc., such operators start-up and go bust regularly, those around this year may not be around next year so no use for planning purposes and they only fly if the phone rings, it might be flowers from Kenya, pineapples from Ghana, cod from Iceland but if there is such a volume for adhoc cargo in UK then why are there no UK resident adhoc cargo operators?