PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney precautionary landing after baggage hatch opens in flight
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 11:18
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3wheels
There are far too many examples on forums when an aircraft has made a forced landing and been reduced to thousands of pieces and forumites immediately say, good job, well done, well handled etc etc...seemingly by rote.
Some (most) are the exact opposite.
You missed "He is a real hero", "He wanted to save innocent people" type of positive comments And how many times the CVRs/DFDRs testify that the pilot was a joke, mixing up the operating and failed engines etc.

For me it's all about risk management. The risk of control issues vs. the risk of high-speed bumpy landing. And then there is the risk of stuff falling out from the airplane (potentially hitting and killing someone on the ground).
I wish that I will have more serenity to evaluate the situation before diving to the ground, but can't blame the pilot diving to the ground.. And it gives us a good insight into how we can imporve the actions, should something like this happen to us.
Example of control issues, trim-runaways, limited control movements show that most of us gets scared a little, when it happens to them in flight, while most of us is very wise and brave when we watch this in our armchair.