PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney precautionary landing after baggage hatch opens in flight
Old 21st Jul 2020, 17:35
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
The event has happened and nobody died, that's good. At this point readers of this thread can decide if there is anything to learn from this that they can apply to there own flying. I think that there are numerous aspects of this event that could have been done better all of which I think have been adequately described in the posts. The fiddling with the camera at the expense of dealing with the emergency is obviously a big one but the one that stands out for me is the pre-flight inspection that failed to catch the door.

i see many examples of incidents and accidents that start with a failure to do the un-sexy boring tedious procedures completely and properly every time, like the pre-flight inspection. That doesn't mean you have to do the equivalent to fan annual inspection before each flight, but what it does mean is that you have a system, you know and understand what you are looking for on the inspection, and you do it right every time. Early in my commercial flight career I was told that I should never get in an airplane without at least walking around it and doing a "nothing open/hanging/dripping" check , even if I had just got out of the airplane. On 2 occasions this has caught an issue that could have had significant flight safety implications.

I know the above sounds preachy and I the first to admit I am not perfect, but this is area that I concentrate on. If the baggage door had not opened this event would never have occurred and I believe that this pilot missed an opportunity to break the incident chain.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record as well as thread drift. I have often banged on about the fact that approximately 80 % of engine failures occur because of the actions or inaction of the pilot. Many of these are procedural failures which if followed would have prevented the engine failure in the first place.