PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2020, 15:47
OldSowBreath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray_Y
Thank you. Your post surfaced late due to your status as new user.
Means it's important to address the wealthy ones who are able to shoulder their share of payment - or is it just the insurances that pay?
The wealthy ones, if not self-insured, will pay out through their primary and umbrella insurance policies. Often, big self-insureds will hire an insurance company and their lawyers simply to handle the negotiations. Today, almost all cases are settled within policy limits. We've gotten attuned to the quick, guaranteed payment of an agreed settlement, as opposed to trying a case that will take years to get through the trial and appellate level, and then trying to seize and sell the assets of the liable parties. I don't see any reason these cases won't settle within policy limits. As you are sure to know, all settlements will be confidential, but between the attorneys, the amounts and percentages of the pay-outs will give them them an idea as to culpability between the parties.

Last night, I got to thinking, and there are probably ten or more defendants who will be sued in addition to the big three. I don't know if Boeing makes its own in-flight cockpit instrumentation, or if that is subbed out to someone like Honeywell, TI, Garmin, etc., etc., but if so, they will be potential defendants.