PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air 3591 NTSB Public Docket Opened
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2020, 14:57
Ray_Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
I’ll accept that the CA may have been distracted by something else, but he wouldn’t have been writing for very long. Isn’t this the accident where the pushover was well into the negative g’s?

If I’m not mistaken, and it is, the CA would have noticed immediately. The question is, why did it take him so long to realise the pitch and the control column position were inappropriate?
A combined timeline from all sources could help judging. I can't recall all, is this sequence close to reality?
Assumed: Both miss the FMA announced G/A
The pitch up is quite gentle, short after light turbulences
The engines spooling up are the first real alarming surprise
The CPT was busy constructing an answer for ATC and transmit it?
He wants to get an overview, but now the bloke right of him mentiones speed. He compares what he sees with what the other calls out and can't find a connection. This consumes time.
He wants to summarize and maybe act, but then bloke right of him now mentiones "we're stalling". Another seconds wasted in getting an idea. And what's those forces suddenly?
No wonder if there's a delay in response. And they didn't have that much time until they were doomed.
Final bad is, the CPT not only acted late, but lonely. Last chance gone.

EDIT: Alright, 4 timestamps:
12:38:31 G/A
12:38:37 N1>50%
12:38:47 Pitch going Through -20° ,
12:38:50 Pitch ~-40; 290KN, at this increasing Speed & current Power they were most probably doomed here

Fill the gaps with the other events

Last edited by Ray_Y; 21st Jul 2020 at 15:25.