PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney precautionary landing after baggage hatch opens in flight
Old 20th Jul 2020, 19:30
physicus

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Any SEP is easily controlled using pitch trim only should the elevator get jammed, and that training was part of the syllabus when I got mine 20 or so years ago, so it's certainly no reason to panic. I even landed the PA28 I was training on using pitch trim and rudder only (minimal wind day if I remember), which worked nicely. Just about the only critique I have is on the execution of the landing. He came in really hot, and not in a preferred direction seeing how he crossed numerous what looked like bitumen strips. Not only do those usually have nasty edge boundaries with the grass, but with just a minor S turn he would have been able to land on one of them.

And on the topic of CRM, it would have been better to have his pax look after the video. That would have given them something to focus on as well. She seemed moderately distressed, understandably. I wonder if she's going easyjet next time.

Edit: Ok, after having seen the youtube version, I'd have a whole bunch of points to add... I'll save those for the other arm chair experts, save this one: I'm surprised he immediately dove for the ground, rather than first establishing what level of control impact this event had. Also, the pax reaction was pretty cool. She spots the portaloos. hahaha.

Last edited by physicus; 20th Jul 2020 at 19:42.