PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney precautionary landing after baggage hatch opens in flight
Old 20th Jul 2020, 14:37
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
The video may have been edited of course.
Maybe. But what is not edited is the bit where he turns round and fiddles with the camera whilst the plane is still moving. No go!

Originally Posted by Jhieminga
I think I would have preferred a landing on an airport ...
Unfortunately proper decision making techniques are not taught at PPL level. Especially the "C" at the end of "FORDEC" or the "R" in "DODAR" (which are just two of several acronyms used in that context). The "C"heck or "R"eview bit that turns a momentary decision into a continuous loop that can help to find a better strategy: Oh - I still can control my plane fairly well. I have reduced my speed so other pieces may not break off. Everything else (icluding my GopRo, checked that one several times...) still seems to work. So maybe I can reach an airfield with a proper runway and emergency service. But (other than, to repeat myself, for diverting so much attention to his camera) I wouldn't blame him for that. He probably never heard about it or, even worse, was taught to stick with his decision no matter what.