PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC/BA Routes to Australia 1973-74
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2020, 14:33
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Went to Hong Kong in mid '78 to meet my girlfriend who was working for SCF in Nepal at the time. Last day we went to Macau only to be sent back early as a Typhoon was approaching (the Boeing Jetfoil was pretty stable). By the time we got to Kai Tak the flight was cancelled and we were put in an hotel on the island. After a wild (weather) couple of nights we were bused back to Kai Tak where the departures board showed 4 BA flights. 1 cancelled (sent back London from somewhere else in the east). 2nd was a VC10 operating Tokyo to Johannesburg (I seem to remember that stopped in Colombo) and the rest of us were on the remaining two flights. Happily one was going via Bangkok where girlfriend needed to change to the RNAC flight to Kathmandu.

My other memory of the far east wasn't BA. I went London/Amsterdam on KLM then Amsterdam/Frankfurt/Rome/somewhere in the Gulf/ Bombay/Bangkok/Jakarta on a DC10 with KLM titles one side and Garuda the other side then a Garuda DC8 to Denpasar.Came home from Singapore on a Garuda DC8. to Amsterdam. One stop was Colombo where I watched a family who I suspect were staff offloaded and helped to get their bags from the hold.