PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast City Airport-2
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2020, 22:21
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cumbrianboy

my point is, Aer lingus do NOT want stobart off their patch. They are discussing an extension of the contract. Stobart do something mainline can’t do, the provide frequency. The whole regional model is to feed long haul, point to point is happily served by Ryanair - it’s not EIs core market. The airbus is just too big for that high frequency market. And where here is demand For specific peak flights for more than an ATR the two work hand in hand. Like MAN and BHX.
hi Cumbrianboy,
I would suggest that they currently are not discussing the extension of the contract. IAG will invite tenders at the appropriate stage. I would guess that Stobart got some commitments in relation to BHD, I.e. Stobart are unlikely to be building an Aer Lingus branded operation at BHD only to loose the franchise in less than 2 years. I'd guess they have an agreement that says 'if' Stobart doesn't maintain the franchise as it currently stands, then they may be able to continue the franchise for BHD operations. That would be my take on what is taking place, that's if these rumours materialise. I did see the listings on the app last week also, so I'd have a high degree of confidence something happens this week...