PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2020, 11:58
George Glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
As I feel sure you haven’t read my previous posts on the subject (does anybody ever) I’ll reiterate them for you.

I am not a fan of cancel culture or ‘wokeness’ and ordinarily I would agree with you about the dangers of erasing history in all its forms.

The issue of the dog’s name is not the thin end of the wedge’ or a slippery slope towards the Fourth Reich.

It is the name of a dog. The name is not a pleasant word and whether it was in 1943 is open to debate. I just do not believe a memorial stone, on an RAF (an employee that wants to be open to all with no fear of discrimination) base with that word on it is appropriate.

Remember, I had absolutely nothing to do with the new memorial. I am merely voicing an opinion that I support the move.

Many of you seem to think that makes me one of the woke generation who thinks we should burn books and destroy statues. I am not, I can assure you.

I could likewise argue that any of you who want to restore the old memorial are racist. I do not believe that to be true.

I fully appreciate Sqn traditions and despite being a mere whippersnapper (aged 43 with 21 years of service and counting) I just think that, on balance, the new memorial is a good thing.

Please vent your anger at the people who want to change all of history before trying to label me. I am able to take things on a case by case basis rather than stoically sticking to a single angle and refusing to listen to anyone who has a different opinion.

BV
No anger.
Just disappointment.
Your reply is disingenuous.
Why be provocative in singling out over 60’s in your previous post ?
Fact is that history has not been taught in schools over the past 30 years.
Fact is most 30 year olds have not the faintest idea of the context of the issues they are panting about.
Fact is that Western Civilisation is under huge pressure.
From powers who have clear ideas where they are going and how to get there.
And us ?
Self flagellating over a memorial that should be a source of pride.
Brilliant.