PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 19th Jul 2020, 11:28
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
My mate at another legacy carrier the other day was weighing up whether he should volunteer for 67% pay for two years in which he won’t be expected to work
A business needs to make money. I don't think there's any business that could survive 2 years paying employees who aren't being productive at 67% wage, especially in the tight margin airline industry.
I'd be interested in knowing which airline that is? Unless it's a state backed carrier with deep pockets I can't think of any airline who could afford it in this climate. There's some US airlines that have offered early retirement packages til age 65 with similar numbers to what you've described (assuming the airline doesn't go bust in the meantime). A 12 month VR package plus leave payouts taken at beneficial tax rates that come with redundancy would give a similar figure in the bank to what you've described. The catch being the pilot has chosen to be made permanently redundant and can't be re-employed.

Either way they are both pretty generous offers in a time when there's not too much spare cash floating around in the airline industry. Even the aforementioned offer from the US can cost the company dearly if they pay out too much:

American Airlines “Squandering Cash” After it Gave Too Many Pilots Paid Early Retirement