PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2020, 11:25
Bob Viking

Received 549 Likes on 150 Posts
George Glass

As I feel sure you haven’t read my previous posts on the subject (does anybody ever) I’ll reiterate them for you.

I am not a fan of cancel culture or ‘wokeness’ and ordinarily I would agree with you about the dangers of erasing history in all its forms.

The issue of the dog’s name is not the thin end of the wedge’ or a slippery slope towards the Fourth Reich.

It is the name of a dog. The name is not a pleasant word and whether it was in 1943 is open to debate. I just do not believe a memorial stone, on an RAF (an employee that wants to be open to all with no fear of discrimination) base with that word on it is appropriate.

Remember, I had absolutely nothing to do with the new memorial. I am merely voicing an opinion that I support the move.

Many of you seem to think that makes me one of the woke generation who thinks we should burn books and destroy statues. I am not, I can assure you.

I could likewise argue that any of you who want to restore the old memorial are racist. I do not believe that to be true.

I fully appreciate Sqn traditions and despite being a mere whippersnapper (aged 43 with 21 years of service and counting) I just think that, on balance, the new memorial is a good thing.

Please vent your anger at the people who want to change all of history before trying to label me. I am able to take things on a case by case basis rather than stoically sticking to a single angle and refusing to listen to anyone who has a different opinion.

BV