PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2020, 10:53
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We live in a “post-truth” society in which emotional responses dominate balanced consideration of evidence. Our use of technology has reinforced black or white thinking, all-or-nothing, splitting our world neatly into one category or another; we create, define our individual context.
But thinking, living in an ambiguous world is grey; we abhor uncertainty thus place objects and ideas into neat boxes, which in time become reinforced silos of belief owned by tribes of like thinkers.

A solution, if there is one, requires changing behaviour, perspective, reframing our thinking.

We need to challenge ourselves and society, questioning whether views have meaningful value. Avoid ‘absolute’ words and rethink them as ‘sometimes’ or ‘every now and again’.
Acknowledge and accept that life is filled with uncertainty. We don’t have all the answers all of the time. It’s completely fine to say, ‘I don’t know, I need to think about that more.’

But do we, will we; I fear not.

At best we might only manage our society as it is, each to their own, tribes guarding silos of thought seeking to become the new history.
Except being unable to rewrite factual history, attempting change history represents the failure to learn; which could be history's prime purpose.

"I also have no interest in reconstructing the past as I would like it to have been. I learned from it precisely because it wasn’t what I expected, which also explains why I don’t remember it. Furthermore, you cannot learn from my mistakes, only from your own. I want to encourage, not discourage, your making your own."

Ackoff; https://thesystemsthinker.com/a-life...tems-thinking/