PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So What Did You Snack On In The Cold War, Daddy?
Old 18th Jul 2020, 23:08
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Having got utterly fed up with those Minevals when you would be called out at some ungodly time of night only to rush in and wait for a jet, with neither breakfast nor exercise rats, I decided to keep a frozen sausage sandwich in my home freezer. By the time all the headless chickens had stopped buggering you about, it would have thawed perfectly in a lower leg pocket and at least I wouldn't starve....

One day I fished it out and was about to unwrap it when some exercise inject foiled me. But half an hour later I was able to tuck in....

…..only to discover that someone, who to preserve anonymity I will refer to as Jerry U**n, had laced the thing with tabasco. It was hotter than hell, but I feigned nonchalance..... Revenge shall be mine!

Thus it was a little later when, after making himself a cup of green pea soup, Jerry discovered that half a tube of Sweetex didn't really improve the flavour!

Best V-force in-flight was the 'Po'boy sandwich' from the Offutt SAC flight kitchen. It resembled a rugby ball made of bread filled with all manner of meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato and heaven knows what else. Plus a bag of 'sour cream flavoured ripple chips'...which were 'different'.

Worst Brize in-flight? The infamous Robirch pork pie - it was always so stale that if you shook it, you could hear the ball of congealed tail and trotters rattling around inside like a dice in a cup.....

…..