PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Force One Surprise Visit to Baghdad
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2003, 01:00
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While this is an aviation forum, the fascination with all things american and the SPECTACULAR MISUNDERSTANDING OF AMERICAN LAW AND GOVERNMENT as displaye by WBRYCE, do call for a few comments back.

First off,
Bush's fund raising... As opposed to BILL Clinton/Al Gore both of whom received 90 percent of their money from less than 100 sources, (IN otherwords they were big single contributions from Special interests) Bush received 75 percent of his donations (In dollar value) in denominations of less than 100 dollars. Infact it has almost ALWAYS been that way and is one of the reasons the campaign finance reform bill has been the death knell of the democratic party. Infact the first democratic candidate not to be made up of special interest money has been Howard Dean. So you want to know who was more beholden to big business and special interest? It would have been GORE. Both candidates raised about the same amount from big business. The difference in fundraising came from the little guy, and Bush buried Gore.

2nd You claim that Bush refused to ratify KYOTO.

I got news for you, Bush DOESN"T HAVE THE POWER TO RATIFIY KYOTO. CONGRESS must ratify all treaties. Gore went to Kyoto and put HIS signature on it hoping to embarrass the republicans in congress, but the issue is an overwhelming loser for the Democrats and Most American's recognize the KYOTO treaty for the peice of crap that it is. When KYOTO was signed, it was with the FULL knowledge that it would NEVER be ratified. That is a pretty good expression lieing by Gore and of democracy bringing back the one lunatic ruler, actually. Deliberate distortions of this by the UK press are one of the things that drove me crazy when I lived there.

ICC? Same thing. Will never pass congress. Even if it did, then it might get struck down by the supreme court as unconstitional. Also might require a constitutional ammendment inorder to submit the country to extra judicial justice. THAT will certainly never happen.

Drilling in Alaska, SO WHAT.... Not important to most Americans

Ignores the UN. Tell me what has the UN EVER accomplished without US money and soldiers.... I can tell you Far more embarrassing things about the UN. It isn't a bastion of fairness, truth and justice. That is for sure, and most Americans recongnize that.

Abortion? I may be pro choice, but the US voters have spoken. You would deny us the right to vote on that issue? Some procedures have been banned by congress. Big deal. Again. that is an expression of democracy. I don't agree with it, but I'm obviously in the minority. I suspect there are more than a few procedures (Like partial birth abotions, the only thing banned so far in the US) that may effectively be banned over there administratively through the NHS...

Binged on Alchohol and Cocaine? He was far more honest about it than old Bill Clinton (I smoked pot but didn't inhale) and you can't argue that it is clouding his judgement NOW (He doesn't drink)

Executions, Well all those convictions were more than 10 years earlier. It takes a VERY long time to get executed in America, during which there is an exhaustive review of the evidence and appeal of the trial... Tell me, When is the UK going to have a vote on capital punishment? I think it would pass in the UK. Okay, I guess democracy is only okay when you know the answer in advance <G> Capital punishement is done with the utmost care, yet reflects the will of the people. Again, democracy in action.

Actually the above list of MISINFORMATION based on rediculous sound bites garnered from TV is a pretty good example of all that is wrong in the world today. The problem is that the press doesn't know what they are talking about, or the segments lack the length required to actually explain what is going on, yet in 30 seconds they preach as if they are telling the true gospel. Tellme, pray tell, Which press coverage of aviation do you feel is great and flawless and accurate. To look around rumors and news, the answer is NONE. Yet then you trust the media on all other items...

The NUMBER 1 TERRORIST TARGET IN THE WORLD, flew right into the heart of the beast and served dinner to the troops, (and met with local Iraqi's btw) Good on him

Yggorf,
Bush regularly does that. He also meets with the soldiers who have been wounded when they come through Bethesda. But he does it quietly, for their benefit, no the press's.

Cheers
Wino