PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for a multi-engine-instructor-to-be?
Old 17th Jul 2020, 18:52
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you so much for the above. I flew this morning...

My first right seat flight was at night into Atlanta just because with COVID we could. Last week was my first real effort from the right seat - all pattern work to get comfortable. Today I worked on the various required maneuvers and then "simulated" instructing. That was eye opening!

The guy in the left seat was my instructor for the commercial. I know he can fly! Giving feedback to his "student errors" felt weird. Because I trust him, I was not "on/near the controls" when simulating failures. Reading the above reinforces what the instructor said.

I'm not a touch and go fan. I read once "how can you teach landing when you're trying to take off before the landing is done?" Makes sense. I understand the desire to save money when flying something that costs $330/hour. But safety is paramount. No reconfiguring until off the runway.

Until today, I've never explained "how to fly a twin" to anyone; the only people I've ever been in a twin with have more experience than me. I had no patter considered/rehearsed. I need to work on that. A lot.

Please continue; I've really enjoyed the above. It will be beneficial

Terry