PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC training in the 60s and 70s. 'Non-state' airports.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 17:47
escaped.atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 sheds
The term non-State was frequently used in a disparaging manner by some others, though one has to ask how else would you refer to those units collectively. It is a pity that they did not - and do not - club together to demand a positive term - any offers? It may not originally have been intended that way but was often used thus and was/is demeaning to refer to anything as a "non-...". Having been on both sides of the fence, I was amused and appalled to be told in all seriousness by some clot that my licence was not to the same standard as his as it was "non-State" - this at the time of my ANSP about to take over the contract at "his" airport! I would not have believed it had I not heard it first hand - quite apart from the fact that I had gained it in State employment, had more experience that the speaker and two more ratings!

2 s
Having also been on both sides I have also come across this mythical divide. The phrase these days is non-NATS units, must admit I prefer the term "independent unit". I have also been sneered at by these superior beings because my identical licence was obtained elsewhere. Not sure what its like now but I know that NATS students some years ago were told they were the best from the very beginning. This was people that were just in the door and hadn't controlled an aircraft but were being told they were the cream of the crop because of the recruitment process. In fairness the genuinely good NATS trainees made good controllers, the poorer ones went straight to management roles. Although thats probably the same today!