PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2020, 15:45
SOX80

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Being a white middle class pilot in a pretty exclusive white middle class world I have never been on the receiving end of any persecution (being forced to change the name of a dog on a gravestone is not persecution). What I have got from the recent protests around this issue is that we really haven't been very nice to a large swathe of the worlds population for a long time. For those above that complain about history being re-written, history is generally written by the victors and persecutors, history is an interpretation of facts and events, it is a fluid thing. Calling dogs 'nigger' or referring to a colour as 'nigger brown' probably was offensive to people back then, they just didn't have a voice and didn't write the subsequent history. If small gestures like saying we will remove an offensive name or take down statues which celebrate slave traders can go someway to making reparations for some pretty dark times, and can make some members of our society feel less persecuted then I am all for it. It is so easy, as with all things today to completely polarise the issue to either: Snowflake - get rid of anything or anyone with any reference or context of racism or indeed anything I don't like, to Gammon - It is British history, my granny said 'nigger' we can't change anything, screw you. The solution clearly lies somewhere in the middle with a bit of a cultural shift, hopefully.