PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Sqn Grave Vandalised!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2020, 14:46
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
Snowflakes

I’m very sorry but I think many of you are conflating two subtly different issues.

The wider trend for erasing history is not something I agree with.

I believe I have made it quite clear, though, that when it comes to the dog’s name I believe the actions taken at Scampton are the correct course. This is not me swallowing a loyalty pill or being a snowflake.

I am very glad that the RAF I belong to is willing to take the unpopular (amongst some) action of doing something that is actually the morally correct thing to do.

If someone were to advocate removing a statue of Guy Gibson on the grounds that his choice of pet name made him a racist I would be right with you at the front of the outrage bus.

I think you need to separate this from the statue toppling and book burning antics and ask yourself why the name of the dog matters to you so much.

Do you really want the prevailing narrative about the legend of the Dambusters to be about GG’s dog? Or would you rather people knew and heard about the incredible and heroic missions they undertook?

Call me a snowflake if you wish (if you knew me you’d know that is not true) but I just think, on this issue, the ire of many is misplaced.

BV