PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why is moral so low within airline companies?
Old 28th Nov 2003, 23:40
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SkyChick2003,

There is an old saying about this industry,

When its Good, Its GREAT,

But when its Bad, Its TERRIBLE.

There are alot of reasons why moral may be low in an airline: from my own humble experience one of those at the moment is 'Change' for changes' sake.

Take TCX/BY-TUI/Airtours they are all going through massive corporate changes and each of these has an impact on the crew/staff.

One airline has introduced a revised half meal / half no-meal service last summer and put a huge strain on crews' time and patience as certain flights became a debarcle because of a lack of back office support. If you were unlucky to have 3 or 4 such flights on the run you easily began to dread going in to work.

The overall issue though is that the industry has been tightening its belt, cutting costs, re-inventing names, re-branding, new uniforms for nearly 3 years......all of this means change.

People naturally need time to adjust to changes and when all of them happen simultaneously it can seem that the whole show is going to pot. Add a sprinkling of incredibly rude passengers who have no idea what subliminal pressures crew are under and bang you have an airline is moaning constantly.

This industry is great and you should contiue to persue your career reagardless of all of that but I think that a lot of crew have been through a tough couple of years and are naturally a little cheesed off now thats all. I'm sure in a few months thnigs will be rosey again!!

Cheers