PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 17th Jul 2020, 03:58
Blueskymine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by common cents
Blueskymine

I largely agree with your take on the situation.
One question though. Even if this pool of S/O positions are made redundant, how does the company remove a senior S/O on SU so that a more junior S/O on LWOP takes the job.
Would that not mean that the retrenched S/O has been unfairly dismissed?
If the junior SO is on LWOP at the time and there is a notice of CRs, and the senior SO is on SU, the CR may pass over the junior SO on LWOP and target the senior one. (At the companies discretion). Provided the junior SO took greater than 12 months LWOP by 07/08

If the SO who is on LWOP is nearing their return date and there is a notice of CR, they’d be crazy to return. They’d apply for an extension and I’d see no reason why the company wouldn’t approve it.

So the senior SO is CRd, joins the retrenchment list and when all LWOP pilots return or the company starts external recruitment the retrenchment list pilots will have another shot after a HR driven process of some unspecified description, and if successful, return to their original seniority in the base and rank that’s vacant. (PER 787 SO).

These are the facts. They may not be what we all want to hear. AIPA won’t be able to challenge it for risk of a ruling against seniority which won’t be great moving forward and that is pretty much that.

The real concern is if every SO took LWOP, the oldies give the bird and stick around and the gators start snapping into the FO ranks. Whilst unlikely, (it’s unlikely anyone will exit the business involuntarily) it’s worth considering the ramifications (Tino has admitted this is a possibility) and perhaps tightening a few words and clauses in EBA11.

LWOP as far as I can see it is insurance. You’re giving up 6-12 weeks of annual leave for a six digit salary and maintaining your position while avoiding a HR driven process going forward. You’re also maintaining your rank, base and fleet (provided it still exists). If you join the retrenchment list, you won’t.

Last edited by Blueskymine; 17th Jul 2020 at 04:12.