PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain: 3 Days That Saved the Nation - Channel 5 UK, Tues 7th July, 9pm
Old 16th Jul 2020, 12:36
VintageEngineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found it pretty good for a modern program. We may be interested, but the vast majority of people just don’t care about the ‘Battle of Britain’, a bland title that leaves youngsters non the wiser; my youngest son’s history GCSE had it only as a background to a small part of the many hours spent on the role and experience of women in WW2. Any interesting program, no matter how flawed to aviation and history buffs, can only be helpful.

FWIW I dislike the emphasis on the glamorous fighter pilots and associated myths. Almost twice as many Coastal and Bomber Command aircrew died on invasion targets, including Luftwaffe airfields, as Fighter Command aircrew (note I use ‘aircrew’ not ‘pilots’ as some were air gunners, including the Blenheim nighfighter gunner buried some 200 yds from where I now sit). ‘The Few’ is almost universally applied to Fighter Command aircrew when Churchill was explicitly referring to all aircrew in the 3 commands, which is both unfair and ironic given that far fewer of the other 2 commands’ aircrew survived the war.

The programs also avoided revisionist history even where that may be justified. Individuals that become leaders and get noticed, such as Bader, often get there by having character traits that would give the Woke brigade fits. Better to leave these things unsaid.

I would like to see 2 follow-up programs, one on the contribution of the other 2 commands and one on what would have happened if the Luftwaffe achieved air superiority and Hitler had launched an invasion. I’m not holding my breath.

I look forward to their intended program on the dams raid to see if they put it in a wider context or just concentrate on the glamorous bits.