PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain: 3 Days That Saved the Nation - Channel 5 UK, Tues 7th July, 9pm
Old 16th Jul 2020, 10:52
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Just watched all three episodes, and all I can say is what a silly lot of reactionary old pedantic nit picking dinosaurs you are!

I am 71 and am well aware of the events of the Battle of Britain, I joined the Royal Air Force about a quarter of a century after the actual events of the BoB.

I thought this was a well made and very good series. The two presenters did not annoy me, the odd use of the phrase "the Nazi's" did not annoy me as there were far more references to "the Luftwaffe' "the Germans" and "the enemy" than "the Nazi's." Kate Humble in the two seat Spitfire and the 54 Sqn episode out of Hornchurch was really good, as was the use of the Bolingbroke as a bomber. The similar all glass cockpit was a useful feature used by the pilot to demonstrate what would have happened if an 8 gun Hurricane or Spitfire had engaged a He 111 head on.

The use of warbirds and pilots like Cliff Spink and historians like Stephen Bungay enhanced the whole series.

The concentration on three lesser known episodes and relatives of lesser known individuals made it of interest to me, and I would imagine fascinating to those who do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of the events as some on here seem to have.

I ignored this thread before now because I was pretty sure what the reaction from most would have been, but when two much younger and non aeroplane or warfare history folk mentioned it to me and said that they had really enjoyed the series I thought that I would give it a watch.

So I read this thread through before hand, then watched it.

My opinion now?

Thoroughly enjoyed the series, enjoyed the style of both presenters, and as to the reaction?

A lot of you on here would appear to be angry and bitter and twisted old reactionary buffoons.

Your Peter Snow and I claim my £50.