PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire - USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - 12 Jul 20
Old 16th Jul 2020, 01:33
Lonewolf_50

Received 408 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
A warship in its home port, with all possible support systems,
Amount of time you spent in the Navy? Estimate is zero.
This ship was in a shipyard undergoing major maintenance. It wasn't just "sitting in its homeport." You really need to read the entire thread before you spout off.

It's still a shambles, no question, what with all of the lessons learned (allegedly) over decades about how you do things properly in a ship yard during a maintenance period. Obviously, not done in this case.

Let me give you an example of how a contractor/shipyard can cock up a wet dream.
USS Saratoga, Philadelphia shipyard. (going back 30-40 years) (Full disclosure: I was on ships in the Saratoga battle group on two different deployments to the Med).

In port, Saratoga had major maintenance done, including work on her boilers. The yard utterly screwed it up. Sorry Sara was a running engineering casualty for a few years while the Navy tried to get their money/pound of flesh out of the shipyard. Millions and millions of tax dollars pissed away. And it took millions more to sort out the cock up those cnuts in Philly did ...
It is incomprehensible to me
OK, you are ignorant and incredulous. So what?
Just because you don't believe it can happen doesn't mean it won't.
See also AF 447, PIA in Karachi recently, Max/MCAS ... need I go on? Cocking up is an element of the human condition. If that bothers you so much, I suggest emulate Warren Zevon's character

and wait for the double E...

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 16th Jul 2020 at 01:43.