PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire - USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6 - 12 Jul 20
Old 15th Jul 2020, 16:37
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Imagegear
We always worked on an austenitic temperature transition starting around 723 degrees C. The effects on steel at uncontrolled and variable high temperatures is unimaginable. (Think twin towers)
I can hear my old materials science professor now, talking about that transition ...
In my opinion, this vessel is almost totally compromised and should be decontaminated and scuttled.
That is an uninformed opinion, given that you don't know the extent of the area exposed to those temperatures. They are going to have to do a detailed assessment of what has to be cut away due to material structural degradation (which you rightly mention) versus what remains that isn't so affected. The info that you and I are exposed to is media reports. I'd hold off on suggesting that they turn it into razor blades until NAVSEA send out an engineering team and they do formal investigation and analysis.
(In the end, your guess might be on target)

Been not quite 30 years since I was in San Diego; it is doubly frustrating to me that they had apparently completed most of the mods during the availability period and then the holes in the cheese lined up and the fire started.
Not going to completely bet against one of your earlier posts suggesting sabotage - it's possible, but given how many known risks there are to overhaul and mod work in a shipyard, I'll offer that it is a very low ball bet, if any, on that being the trigger. But that needs to be looked into, IMO.
A couple of my friends served on that ship in the early 00's, sorry to see her suffer this