PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1960 Viscount weather incident uncontrolled descent from 19,000 ft
Old 15th Jul 2020, 12:30
emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 3 1/2 years flying Viscounts. All 3 types, V720c, V747 and V832. Joined Ansett in 63 and after 2 weeks flying the DC3 my intake course was back into ground school to convert to the Viscount. The cockpit was an ergonomic disaster and the a/c had the highest workload for a F/O.

Viscount F/O's were experts in manual pressurisation control due mainly to Outflow Valves gummed up with nicotine and door seals that used to let go at low cabin differential resulting in decompression around 3-5000ft . The three types had different cockpit layouts and the V747's RMO/RMP had all switches going in the opposite direction to the others ! Very early on you realised that if you had nothing to do you probably had forgotten something.....fuel trims/temps,cabin temp, radio aids, position reports, prop sync, your coffee . I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I then went on to the DC9.

The systems in the F27 were almost identical but thankfully worked a lot better.

Emeritus